Thursday, July 2, 2009

Boat building and bubbling pool

Author: Zandy S.
Location: Little Harbor, Jost van Dyke
I woke up in the blue lagoon with the intention of getting the chefs up gently so they could start breakfast. Ali and Andy had made a concoction of chocolate and cinnamon pancakes. They turned out lovely. I ended up having five, all with syrup, some with honey, nutella and the one that Jamie gave me had peanut butter. After we ate, we rose the anchor and set sail to Great Harbor from Diamond Cay, all on the Island of Jost van Dyke. From the night before I wondered who was Jost van Dyke; maybe a Dutch sailor or a famous pirate. Who knows. I never found out. After the short sail around the southside of th island, I found myself in the dingy with Jack, Matt, and Jamie going to Foxy's. Foxy's is an old bar filled with tourist's t-shirts that they sign and hang from the ceiling. Behind Foxy's is pretty cool. There is a rum distillery, and a woodshop ship yard. This ship yard is fundamental to the local kids. They are taught to use power tools and craft vessels. The project is sponsored by Volvo and is a non-profit organization. For lunch we ate on the boat, Chicken Salad sandwiches with hotsause and all the available meat. After lunch we stopped at Diamond Cay where we set out to find the bubbling pool. When we found it, it was barely bubbling. It was relaxing, but also very small. I had a good time there. For dinner, we had another AQ BBQ. At the BBQ (Sydney's Peace and Love), I made a friend with Jamie, Dexter, the nephew of Sydney, who works at the International Bank in Tortola. We talked about many things ranging from his pimped out Honda Civic, basketball, rap, and his cousin who just bought a 75 grand Mercedes Benz. The music wasn't best at the party, but there was this one little local kid who was hilarious. I would say he has the best time of his life. The girls looked good in all their dresses and the guys were dressed nicely too. Overall, it was a super fun day.

Flickr Photos from Today
Flickr Photos from this Voyage

No comments:

Post a Comment