Monday, July 13, 2009

The day I spent all my money

Author: Morgan Thibault
Location: Baby Home and Pearl Market
Returning from a trip to Taiyuan, we got home around midnight. After falling off the bus and plopping into bed we all got a good night's sleep. An 8 AM wake up call got us all up and ready for the day. After breakfast, we hopped on the bus to go to the baby home. It was around 10:00 when we got there. We spent a few hours playing with the adorable babies and toddlers. I found myself attached to one paticular baby we decided to name Nate. Then came the time to leave, we were all a little sad to leave considering it was our last full morning at the baby home, but we were all really excited to be going to the Pearl Market. It was time again to buy all the souvenirs and presents for friends back home. We split off into our groups and went on a shopping extravaganza. Dodging past people in the market, we grabbed last minute gifts for family, friends, and ourselves. We all have become professonal bargainers. We spent around three hours at the market, and after all the bargaining and racing around we got back onto the bus to head to dinner. On the bus ride back, we all compared the things we bought and talked about how much we each spent on items to see who got the best deals. Looks like 17 RMB is still the best going price for a set of chopsticks...Then it was dinner time. Ben and Fei Fei had an eating contest and everyone thought Fei Fei would win by a long shot. We were proved wrong. Congrats Ben. Forum tonight was interesting. We talked about peer pressure, and the effect it has on life. It was a great discussion, it brought up interesting perspectives and questions I had never really thought about before. That's one thing I really enjoy about forum, each night there is a new topic and something new for me to think about. After forum everyone grabbed their loaded shopping bags and dumped all their stuff onto the dining room table. It was show and tell time. I found it actually quite fascinating seeing what each person bought for their family and friends. After show and tell, my roommates and I decided to venture into our disaster of a room and attempted to pack. ..Let's just say that there is a lot to be done. Tomorrow is our last full day, and just like all the other days, we are determined to make the most out of it. It's hard to believe time has gone this quickly. The days were long, but the weeks were short. I feel there should be more time, but I am also excited to get home and tell my family and friends all about my experiences on Lifeworks. Well, there is so much more I could say about everything but the pile next to my suitcase needs to be packed before it gets messier(: Night.

Flickr Photos from Today
Flickr Photos from this Voyage

No comments:

Post a Comment