Thursday, July 2, 2009

Corn eating contest

Author: Jess M
Location: Beijing
Today we woke up and did our usual morning routine; shower, get ready, and eat breakfast. We split up into our two rotation groups. The chefs stayed behind while my group and I went with the younger kids. The first time I went with the younger kids only half were there, so it was nice to finally meet almost all of them. When I walked into the room it was great to see the smiles stretched across each of their faces. The rest of my group and I took the kids to the park; one of their favorite hot spots. I was hot and sweaty from having to carry one of the kids on my back, but I didn't mind as long as I could keep her giggling all the way back home. We also did arts and crafts with the kids. They pasted felt shapes and stickers on paper, but it soon spread to the floor and even across each others foreheads. Cleaning up was easy with the help of their little hands picking up all the scraps from the floor. That marked the end of our day with the kids, and my group and I made our way home for lunch.

I always look forward to afternoon activities, and today wasn't any different. The plan for today was to visit the Olympic sites. Just a year ago the Bird's nest and the Water Cube were recognized all over the world because of the Olympics. I couldn't believe that we were walking inside those two very famous structures. If I was amazed by being there a year later, I can only imagine what it would have been like to be there in last year's commotion. The massive structure of the Bird's Nest was more and more jaw dropping as we got closer to it. I felt tiny and defenseless as I stood next to it.

Tonight for dinner we didn't go to our usual place. The change was nice because we had been eating the same type of food almost every night ever since we had gotten here. We had barbequed kabobs. The waiters brought out plates of various meats on sticks, dumplings, potatoes, peanuts, and soy beans. I was reluctant to try the lamb meat, but it ended up being my favorite. Everyone was stuffed, but just when we thought we couldn't eat anymore the waiters brought out corn on sticks. I only ate half of mine because I was completely stuffed. Just then an eating competition broke out between Ben and Fei Fei. It was hilarious to watch them fill their mouths with corn and chicken kabobs. I hadn't laughed so much in such a long time. What a great way to end the day.
Flickr Photos from Today
Flickr Photos from this Voyage

No comments:

Post a Comment