Thursday, July 23, 2009

An Eventful Day

Author: Aidan M.
Location: Beijing
I woke up this morning to the voices of my group mates talking in the common room. I got up quickly. We were all excited for the day ahead of us. Once we finished our breakfast of toast, cereal, and noodles, we all left to our days work. Sophie, Jeremy, and I boarded the bus to the baby orphanage, while Andy, Hannah, and Jordan walked to the group home's location within the compound. When we arrived at the orphanage we were greeted with smiles from the workers. We all did our share of taking care of the babies. I first played with the two out-and-about toddlers, Jojo and Fuquan, that always make our days there much more enjoyable. I pushed them both back and forth in strollers, with one in each hand. Their giggling faces made us all more willing to make the day the most it could be. Later that day, the two toddlers surprisingly went to take a nap, but unfortunately we couldn't join. Then I met a delightful new baby named Chubs. I held, played, and sang music to him for a while. After a few hours we departed from the orphanage and returned home and was awaited by a plate of sloppy joes and some noodles from our chefs of the day, Catherine and Zoe. After the meal we sat around and talked about the day. In the group home, one the the children, Max, jumped rope one-hundred-fifty-three times. Those stories are always nice to hear. We got ready to go on our daily excursion. Today's trip was a walk through The Forbidden City and Tian An Men Square. We took a bus to the entrance to the Forbidden City. As we walked through the city, Megan, a staff member, gave us a tour. Once we exited the city we walked to Tian An Men Square. The first thing I did was play frisbee in the middle of the square with Andy, Sophie, and Thomas. After a while we then went to take some pictures and walk around to see the sites of the square. We went to stop for a bathroom break...in KFC. We mistakenly ordered a bucket of chicken, and Zoe put the chicken she ate back into the bucket, on the bus ride back. We went back and ate a great dinner at our usual Chinese restaurant, and ordered garlic shimp and lemon chicken. It was a great day.
Flickr Photos from Today
Flickr Photos from this Voyage

No comments:

Post a Comment